Sunday, February 13, 2011

Healthy and Delicious Applesauce Muffins

Healthy and Delicious Applesauce Muffins

So, I have applesauce in my fridge, I’m only eating it in small doses. My husband mentioned that I haven’t been making muffins lately, so I thought applesauce muffins would be good.

I found a boring recipe at: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/oat-applesauce-muffins/Detail.aspx
And thought that would be a good base, but I would have to kick it up a notch to make it really worth my time and effort. Here are my changes to the recipe, I hope you make them and enjoy the benefits, as well as feel satisfied!!

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk, or soy milk, or regular milk
2-3 apples chopped in small chunks
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg or 1 Tablespoon flaxseed and 3 Tablespoons water (mix and let sit for 2 minutes – this is a great egg substitute, if you don’t have any eggs, or you would rather clear out some cholesterol rather than add it to a dish.) You should be eating flax seed everyday, people!!


Directions

Place oats in a small bowl, pour in milk. Let sit for one hour at room temperature. Then add cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, stir it up really good. (I added a little ginger powder). Let it sit for another half an hour to an hour.


Chop up your apples.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and brown sugar.

Stir in oat/milk mixture, applesauce and flaxseed egg substitute or egg; mix well.

Fold in apple chunks.

Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.


Eat and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment